Controllers are a bit intimdating

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
jellysoda

Controllers are a bit intimdating

Postby jellysoda » 06 Sep 2013, 22:48

First I just wanna say, I love what the team at Black Ink are trying to improve about the software, im all for giving the user options :redface:

With that being said, I dont quite get the interface. Of course im gonna need more time to understand how to make my brushes, but part of me questions whether the UI is intuitive enough. My suggestion would be to make the interface if the software better guide the user into what goes where.

You guys have obviously done a god job so far, i get the why things work partof it, but its kinda hard to figure out the how part. Its like, the things on the left side of the controller window go into the things on the right, but i dont get how they relate, if it makes any sense.

Im still not even sure how mixing and blending work, my main draw to creating my own brushes. Im definitly gonna have to read the tutorial :reyes:

Do keep up the good work, im sure every little tweak counts. :?:

ben-o

Re: Controllers are a bit intimdating

Postby ben-o » 07 Sep 2013, 13:25

Controllers are definitely a technical thing and you don't have to know everything about them to use Black Ink, don't panic :)
Here's a tip for quick use: you can load presets from the top of the controller editor with the button next to "behavior scheme". Using this you can apply pressure or speed to the output you selected.
You can also save any controller branch as a preset so maybe you can look at the existing brushes and the ones in the 'Brush exchange' section of the forum, same some behavior you want to try and load them in other parameters and other brushes. This could help understanding what does what by experimenting.

If you have any question about the controllers, the Brush Making section is where you want to go.
There are some tutorials, they're really not complicated at all, and of course I'll be happy to answer technical questions and to help you using the controllers!

Also, some improvements are planned for the controller editor. A new window will display more details and graphical representations of how signals are modified, which should really help understanding how each block work.

Return to Suggestions