a few suggestions...

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
aike

a few suggestions...

Postby aike » 27 Jul 2013, 02:23

Hey guys,

Hope you got back from Siggraph well!

First suggestions, apologies if these are already doable/done/known:

I find it too easy to lose track of the cursor when not using a Cintiq. On a normal wacom tablet, I often spend too much time looking to find where my pen is. Some settings to make the pen more visible would be nice.

I would like to be able to draw on a transparent background - i.e. Quickly set Alpha of 0% on the BG. I often paint weird texture maps that need alpha as BG, not color/white...

A shortcut to scale brush size by just holding a key and dragging. (i.e. hold shift and drag to make brush smaller or larger)

F! : Be able to temporarily mask out an area to paint in (so some of the old airbrush techniques are doable) XXXX Edit: Never mind on this, the image based brushes work well for this!

Lots of fun though, very cool.

Greetings from us still in LA.
-Erik

ben-o

Re: a few suggestions...

Postby ben-o » 27 Jul 2013, 18:29

Hi Erik nice to hear from you!
Thanks for the feedback that's always useful because even when it's something we know, it helps us set our development priorities.

The cursor is a very recent feature and we also think that it is sometimes hard to see especially on a white background. Some fine-tuning will come soon.
Document transparency has also been reported and we'll need to implement the full feature. We're thinking about getting rid of the default automatic white background and simply display the real existing layers (that will also lead to the transparency saving in png format).
Size (and also opacity) shortcuts are a very popular demand! Definitely coming up.

And lastly we won't have masks or selections any time soon but maybe the preserve transparency mode could be useful for what you're describing. There's a button available for that on every layer's thumbnail.

We're taking the plane back home in a few hours and getting back to work so keep posted!

Return to Suggestions