Main Window vs. Brush Preview Performance?

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
minky

Main Window vs. Brush Preview Performance?

Postby minky » 06 Apr 2021, 04:52

hello!

I'm trying the demo of Black Ink and I was extremely impressed with how little latency there is in the brush preview window (where you can draw on the upper right hand corner). Why is the main window so much less responsive? Is it just because my computer is too slow? I'm running a GTX 1060 3GB

Thanks

u2bleank

Re: Main Window vs. Brush Preview Performance?

Postby u2bleank » 06 Apr 2021, 07:44

Hi minky,

Are you drawin at 100% in the main window ( Ctrl+1 shortcut to be sure ).
What is your brush ?
Moreover you can allocated more GPU VrAm ( see Main ToolBar > Window > Preferences > GPU and try to set a little bit "Vram usage target" ).
You can also try to enable / disable Vsync and see if the performance are better

minky

Postby minky » 06 Apr 2021, 17:28

Hi,

Thanks for your response

I'm just using the felt pen brush. I had my gpu target at 48%, now I'm trying at 80% and it seems to make a little difference but not a ton. Is it bad to have such a high VRAM usage target?

Also, I noticed that the brush preview window where the strokes stay around has the same performance as the main window, but the little scratch pad in the upper right hand corner where the strokes disappear is the one with much improved performance. Is that due to the software or is my RAM/storage/something else bottle necking? I ask because maybe the software trying to store the strokes is what's causing it to slow down? I don't know

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 06 Apr 2021, 17:50

hum hard to say...
sometimes software like Chrome eat a lot of VRAM and can cause the GPU Driver to ping / pong data from the RAM and the VRAM..
Try to test Black Ink without any other software. GPU capture on can also slow down Black Ink ( like OCS.. ).
The preview part is more little than the main canvas and it can be "normal" to have better performance on this area. Anway you should have 60fps with the Felt Pen with your PC :?:

minky

Postby minky » 06 Apr 2021, 22:19

Okay thanks!

I'll play around with it a little more and see if anything helps.

Would be cool if there was an FPS counter!

Return to Technical support