Brush that does not accumulate paint

To talk about brush creation and controllers
cassidy

Brush that does not accumulate paint

Postby cassidy » 10 Jul 2020, 16:40

Hello !

I'm trying to create a brush that would not accumulate "paint" when the pattern is repeated. Here we can see the standard behavior of a "shape step" brush in Black Ink:

The 3 exemples are done in 1 stroke. As far as I understand the brush simply adds the shape over the canvas no matter what. It's kinda problematic for several reasons.

For exemple on the left, with the fixed opacity at 50% the stroke should be half transparent. But since the steps are painted on top of each other and the shape interval is low, it ends up being opaque except for the edges.

I'd like to achieve the same behavior than on Photoshop where brushes don't accumulate "paint" onto the same stroke. It's difficult to explain exactly with words but hopefully it should be clear with this comparison:

I thought about it and I don't see how I could do it :desperate:

I'm guessing the way to go would be to "keep track" of the current stroke in order to know what pixels have been painted already. Then for each new step you can compare what should be painted with what is already there, and make decisions based on that.

But as far as I can tell there is no tool in Black Ink that would allow to do this.

Any ideas? :?:

u2bleank

Re: Brush that does not accumulate paint

Postby u2bleank » 10 Jul 2020, 17:28

Hi cassidy,

Hum this is simply impossible right now..
In fact photoshop or other drawing sofwtare typically a "temp" layer where the brush is outputted, and then it's this "temp" layer that is blended with the current "selected/output" layer. Then it's simple to adjust the opacity or other complex blending effect.

So Black Ink will have to do the same... but with a procedural approach.
This means that we will have to create a procedural stage when we start drawing with a brush.
At this stage we should be able to create any kind of Layer Composition that will be flattened once the tracing is finished...

For example to acheive what you want the stage will look like that :

And when the drawing is finished the results is flattened into "Draw Output".

It will be really powerfull.. The problem is, it's going to take time to implement. :cry:
But it's one the top requested feature.. so perhaps we will have something before the end of the year ( :reyes: )

Tell me if you need more explanation :thanx:

cassidy

Re: Brush that does not accumulate paint

Postby cassidy » 10 Jul 2020, 17:38

Thanks, it's very clear. :)

Well I'm eager to see the result once it's done.
Good luck with the implementation! ^^

Return to Brush Making