Parameters for dummies?

To talk about brush creation and controllers
void

Parameters for dummies?

Postby void » 17 Dec 2013, 22:52

Hey everyone, first-time poster and new user here. This software is amazing and the potential for brush customization is what made me pick it up in a heartbeat.

However, when it comes to even basic math, I can be a gigantic noob. :cry:

I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels a bit intimidated by brush customization, as there are lots of people out there who are as deficient in mathematics as they are proficient in art. So far, I've had a bit of fun with trial and error, but I know I'm missing some vital knowledge to really get a feel for the process. I understand waveforms from working with them in audio production, for just one example, but I can't seem to visualize their application in brush making. The workshops and controllers reference have been somewhat helpful...but I was wondering if it's possible to create a more visually intuitive guide for the math dummies? Perhaps something with more before/after images of commonly used controllers, and some elaboration on the structure/input of parameters and how to ensure they interact effectively?

I apologize if there's already a thread about this. (I looked, but I could have missed something.)
:desperate:

u2bleank

Re: Parameters for dummies?

Postby u2bleank » 18 Dec 2013, 10:43

void : you're right !

Black Ink lack of tutorial and walkthroughs for Brush customization. :cry:
Mainly because it's not mature in that domain there will be a lot of re-work for this part ( the UI will be more intuitive ) so that's why we won't spend to much time in it for the moment.
I know it's frustrating if you aren't familiar with mathematics but it will be done with future version.

For the moment my advice is to ask to the community what you want to achieve and follow those guides

void

Postby void » 18 Dec 2013, 17:18

Thank you for responding! It's good to hear that walkthroughs are planned eventually!! For now I will keep experimenting, then. :smile:

aphtershox

Postby aphtershox » 10 Jan 2014, 01:10

I apologize for having nothing other to contribute to this thread really but that I second everything void has said here. I hope it will get easier, but I think that the amount of customization possible is very interesting, and I think it's a good project.

u2bleank: You say the UI will be more intuitive later? That would be fantastic for those of us with shriveled-up math sections of our brains that cower at the sight of things like f(x). Out of curiosity, what do you guys think it will come to be like instead, then, if it's not too early to wonder?

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 14 Jan 2014, 12:46

aphtershox : the interface will be more intuitive but you should still always need some math skill to fully used it. It's quiet difficult to hide the logic and the math if you want to create a new Brush controller.
In fact it's like programming and we try to give you the simplest tool without scarifying the freedom of creation.

aphtershox

Postby aphtershox » 16 Jan 2014, 01:29

u2bleank: aww, but artists don't know math =P
I guess I'll have to struggle my way through it then. Get math tutoring.

Also, I was reminded of something cool when I first came across Black Ink: http://danikgames.com/stuff/floralpart/index.html

Just figured I'd share this neat thing as well that I found.

thephysicist

Postby thephysicist » 16 Jan 2014, 09:13

aphtershox wrote:u2bleank: aww, but artists don't know math =P
I guess I'll have to struggle my way through it then. Get math tutoring.

Should you have a specific question, just send me a pm ;) most things should be covered by this guy viewtopic.php?f=37&t=105 if there is still something unclear, just ask. I'm not a native English speaker, but we may understand each other anyway :D
I could also explain more basic things, like what a funcion of X does etc...

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 16 Jan 2014, 12:07

aphtershox :
Also, I was reminded of something cool when I first came across Black Ink: http://danikgames.com/stuff/floralpart/index.html

Thanks for sharing, this is the kind of thing we want to do :)

Return to Brush Making