MIM Workshop

A place to share general techniques & tricks with Black Ink
maninmachine

MIM Workshop

Postby maninmachine » 23 Oct 2015, 01:35

10/28/15 - Bug captured in speedpaint video. (import image)

10/24/15 - Bug captured in pressure application video. (size change)

10/23/15 - To admins/devs: is there a way to delay/stop the automatic logout? I use Chrome. If I'm not logged in and hit post reply I'm brought to the sign-in screen, then brought to the board index (not the thread). If I am logged in and posting a reply sometimes I am logged out without notification (taking to long, momentary disconnection?). Then when I finish typing the post and hit send, I'm taken to the login screen and then my account information. Of course, the post is lost. However, then there's some loop that any time I hit post reply, I'm taken to my account information. I have to clear my cookies and log in again before I can post again.
:x

10/22/15 - Opened thread to answer questions about general use, discuss controllers and brush creation, share brushes/artwork/videos, and explore ideas/techniques. I am just a user with some experience, and I would like to contribute to the community. I cannot help with technical issues, and I make plenty of mistakes. You can call me Mim.
Last edited by maninmachine on 02 Nov 2015, 18:47, edited 6 times in total.

gomi

Re: MIM Workshop

Postby gomi » 23 Oct 2015, 18:19

I think the best first step would be to fully understand our limitations. As of right now, we can't add/create textures to brushes and we only have 6 brush shapes to work with (circle, square, ellipse, and the hollowed version of each). However, I know we can create the illusion of both of these with a bit of tweaking. Are there others?

The next helpful thing might be providing an example of how each parameter acts upon the brush (we can use the reference list). Later, we might proceed into common parameter pairs, or which parameters require other parameters to function.

Just to start us off in a direction. :learn:

maninmachine

Postby maninmachine » 24 Oct 2015, 04:38

Blegh, my response was eaten - I'll add a flag to the first post and retype the reply tomorrow.

That's a good place to start!

Standard: Circle, square, lens
Stretched: Ellipse, rectangle, line
Simulated/Stepped: Stars and crosses, cubes, spheres, cylinders, cones, triangles, pyramids

We're working with single signal, function based, simple geometric plots. I think multiple signals and different standard shapes are coming, though. That said, here are some early observations on brush creation:

1. Black Ink is GREAT for geometric splatter art.
2. Dynamic, interesting lines are very straightforward.
3. Gradients within the stroke are easy to manipulate.
4. Shaders are easy to create, but blending is tough. For one, opacity merging in a stroke doesn't exist. Two, mixing dissimilar colors can be a real shot in the dark for non-professional artists (like me!). Instead of refined blending, especially over large areas, Black Ink is better suited for quick stroke based blending (say, opacity or value from pressure). I think when we get the stroke editor we'll see some features that help in that regard. I hope to see something like redefining the stroke length parameter as the entire new stroke length [0,1], instead of the predetermined measure that can exceed 1. Then we could do some custom gradients in an area pretty well.
5. High frequency plotting should be avoided unless necessary, since it can be hard to tie into the brush settings and can get crunchy.

maninmachine

Postby maninmachine » 24 Oct 2015, 19:05

Basic Pressure Application:

Devs, please check out video at 2:00. The size change bug is captured there.

gomi

Postby gomi » 26 Oct 2015, 19:32

Awesome showcasing of the pressure parameter! :geek:

I'd like to know more about the simulated/stepped shapes. Are these available to us now through the controller?

maninmachine

Postby maninmachine » 28 Oct 2015, 14:57

I'd like to know more about the simulated/stepped shapes. Are these available to us now through the controller?

Yep, some can be found in the forum brush sharing threads already. You can use gradient color and length controllers to create implied shapes pretty quickly. Shaded shapes (aside from sphere) need scattering. I can come back and add links/examples.

Recent speedpaint of Gul'Dan from WoW. Total time was approximately 4.5 hrs. (5 hours later note in middle is me joking about how long I took on the robe alone)

To the devs: This video was created in two sessions. After starting the second session I realized the imported image (top left) had retained its original size but filled the cropped area with transparency. In the bottom right corner of the transparent area, artifacts appeared. You can catch it around the 5:45 mark.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 02 Nov 2015, 11:47

N!
10/23/15 - To admins/devs: is there a way to delay/stop the automatic logout? I use Chrome. If I'm not logged in and hit post reply I'm brought to the sign-in screen, then brought to the board index (not the thread). If I am logged in and posting a reply sometimes I am logged out without notification (taking to long, momentary disconnection?). Then when I finish typing the post and hit send, I'm taken to the login screen and then my account information. Of course, the post is lost. However, then there's some loop that any time I hit post reply, I'm taken to my account information. I have to clear my cookies and log in again before I can post again.
:x

Ok we we will see if you can make something about that.
Anyway if you type a very long post I suggest you to do it in notepad ( and saving ) to avoid quick closing of your browser.

N!
10/24/15 - Bug captured in pressure application video. (size change)

Nicely spotted :) We will look on it

N!
10/28/15 - Bug captured in speedpaint video. (import image)

Yes, It's seems some invalid data has been filled at the bottom right part of your reference layer.
However I can't see if the artifact were gone after your resizing.

:up:
And BRAVO for this great workshop I hope we will deliver you soon more fun tools to work with ;)

maninmachine

Postby maninmachine » 02 Nov 2015, 19:05

Thanks U2!

Here are some shape examples.
Oh, since the orientation of the lens base shape is at 45 degrees it becomes something else when not on a 1:1 scale. Leaf? Rhombus with two round corners?

Sphere, Pyramid, (magnifying lens product of sphere):

Stars/Crosses:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=545

Extruded forms:
(cube series)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=378
(shaded noodles)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=713

Here's an image that uses that length-based truncation from sphere/pyramid examples:
Attachments
Magnifier MIM.bkbrush
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 1266 times
Pyramid MIM.bkbrush
(14.73 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times
Sphere MIM.bkbrush
(9.33 KiB) Downloaded 1255 times

maninmachine

Postby maninmachine » 12 Nov 2015, 06:49

bonnie