Bugs / Suggestions

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
thatguy

Bugs / Suggestions

Postby thatguy » 20 Jan 2014, 13:19

Great program. Interesting approach to drawing on a computer.

Sorry - I have not checked whether these have come up before.

A couple of bugs that I seem to have found:
* When minimised black ink uses 1 cpu at 100%. When the application is restored the cpu utilisation goes back to 0%.
* Saving to the root of a drive shows "the directory x% doesn't exist"
* Memory leak when saving an image as PNG (lots of memory is used and is not returned some time after the save is completed)

A couple of improvements or features that would be nice:
* Pulloff controller editor and other toolbox windows (on second screen).
* Tab to show/hide controls
* Intuos 3 "pan/scroll" button support. The button usually performs the scroll function in several different applications that use different scroll shortcuts with no configuration.
* "Debug" input/output viewer for checking changes to brushes in controller. I find it is difficult to see the effect of changing the controller configuration sometimes. Seeing the inputs / outputs would be convenient sometimes.
* If you have just created a new document with details and you choose new with no details the new document should pick up the changed values rather than reverting to the original.
* Image guide. This is such a simple one that you can get in just about any other package tool. This would be really helpful.

u2bleank

Re: Bugs / Suggestions

Postby u2bleank » 20 Jan 2014, 14:51

thatguy : thanks for the report !

When minimised black ink uses 1 cpu at 100%. When the application is restored the cpu utilisation goes back to 0%.

We will have a look on that

Saving to the root of a drive shows "the directory x% doesn't exist"

It will be fixed

Memory leak when saving an image as PNG (lots of memory is used and is not returned some time after the save is completed)

this is probably not a memory leak ( try to do multiple PNG save ) but a lot of memory & cache are allocated at this moment and are still used by Black Ink later.

Pulloff controller editor and other toolbox windows (on second screen).

ok +1 for the request

Tab to show/hide controls

Try to use the H shortcut or wait the keyboard shortcuts customization control ;)

Intuos 3 "pan/scroll" button support. The button usually performs the scroll function in several different applications that use different scroll shortcuts with no configuration.

+1 for the request

"Debug" input/output viewer for checking changes to brushes in controller. I find it is difficult to see the effect of changing the controller configuration sometimes. Seeing the inputs / outputs would be convenient sometimes.

I imagine what you mean ok +1 for the request it's a nice idea

If you have just created a new document with details and you choose new with no details the new document should pick up the changed values rather than reverting to the original.

I don't understand

Image guide. This is such a simple one that you can get in just about any other package tool. This would be really helpful.

Don't understand either. do you have a sample of be more specific.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » 21 Jan 2014, 12:19

I will check the "memory leak" again to confirm specific behavior and let you know if it is misbehaving.

Regarding the new document:
1) Create new document (ctrl+n).
a) A new document of (about) 1000 * 1000 is created
2) Create new document (ctrl+shift+n).
3) Enter 5000 x 1000 and click ok.
b) A new document of 5000 * 1000 is created
4) Create new document (ctrl+n)
c) <<A new document of about 1000 * 1000 is created - this would be better if it was 5000 * 1000>>

Regarding the image guide:
The idea here is that I might want to use something I have sketched or photographed as the basis of a black ink document. While I can use the image as a data source for a brush I might wish to build the image up from scratch using a variety of other brushes without pulling data from the brush. Trying to not affect brushes but still get the projection of the image on the canvas does seem practical or at all possible to me. Additionally, I do not want to have to set the image for all the different brushes I use.

At present I have been creating a layer, setting a brush to use an image, brushing over the entire image, setting transparency.

What I would like is:
1) Create new document
2) Create new layer
3) Load image into layer as "guide"
4) Set opacity of layer as normal
5) Create new layer
6) Draw as normal on new layer (5) or background layer

The key here would be supporting 2-4.

I also forgot to add to my earlier list a fill layer with colour.

This would be useful because generally I want to spend my time creating something I want to create rather than spending time filling in the base with a plain colour. For some stuff this does not matter; but, for a quick drawing where there is a lot of the background that is not filled in this is a pain.

Additionally I forgot to mention the computers I use are Windows XP and Windows 7. If this helps with any of the debugging I can go back and check to make sure I can repeat everything on both computers as well as provide graphics card information. And I can do up screen shots for some of the items; however, the limit of three uploads is a bit of a limit.

Thanks for the your earlier replies. The "debug" input / output viewer is an interesting one. It could be very useful; but, difficult to explain how it should work exactly. The "h" key works fine - I'm not sure how I missed that one... probably just habit.
Attachments
BlackInk_NewDoc_03.jpg
BlackInk_NewDoc_03.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
BlackInk_NewDoc_02.jpg
BlackInk_NewDoc_02.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
BlackInk_NewDoc_01.jpg
BlackInk_NewDoc_01.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 6867 times

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 23 Jan 2014, 12:15

Regarding the new document:
1) Create new document (ctrl+n).

Nice suggestion. Anyway this behavior ot New will be customizable when the Preference window will be there ;)
Tip : currently the New command create a canvas which reflect the current Black Ink window size with a x3 factor.

Regarding the image guide:
The idea here is that I might want to use something I have sketched or photographed as the basis of a black ink document. While I can use the image

The Import image in Layer will be in the next release of Black Ink

I also forgot to add to my earlier list a fill layer with colour.

Same thing here this function will be implemented in the next release.

Return to Suggestions