Features suggestions...

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
u2bleank

Re: Features suggestions...

Postby u2bleank » 12 Dec 2012, 09:30

Hi swiet,

thanks for your comment

For your first suggestion we already though about it. So it will be added in the futur (even if it's not a priority right now :redface: ).

Oh and another thing that would be realy awsome is the abillity to add textures to the color map.

But I am not sure to understand.
Do you mean the Image-Based color?
If yes you can load several images. here the documentation

Cheers

swiet

Postby swiet » 12 Dec 2012, 13:44

Alright that's great, I will be looking forward to that! \o/

But I am not sure to understand.
Do you mean the Image-Based color?
If yes you can load several images. here the documentation

Yes I am aware of the option you reffer to.

But what I mean is quite different.. and as I come to think of it the texture would probably have to be applied to the shape type but then with the option to assign another color to it.

So that within the boundries of the brush stroke you will have the basic color and a texture with another color.
I hope you see what i mean?? :?:

Best regards,

D.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 12 Dec 2012, 14:30

I hope you see what i mean??

I understand now.
Ok it's also possible ;)

pozdn9k

Postby pozdn9k » 22 Dec 2012, 21:04

Hi there!
Here are a few suggestions of mine:

1) Add a 'stabilizer' feature to smooth the strokes, like the one in PaintTool SAI. It slows down the stroke you're drawing, making it more smooth. The amount of slowdown depends on the number set. Here's a video I found, where the artist uses this feature at maximum amount to draw line-art for his character. I think that would be a nice addition for Black Ink too.

2) Possibility to use image files for tracing them (not only taking color from), that would be good for inking sketches too. Though maybe when layers will be present it wouldn't be needed.

3) Change the rendering engine's antialiasing algorithm a bit.
Here I made two lines. After I make undo (2nd pic), appearance of strokes slightly changes, becomes kinda blurred or 'antialiased'.
ImageImage
Don't know about other users, but it kinda disturbs me, because I become unsure of what the drawing will look like in result. And personally I don't like 'blurred' lines.

4) Make possible the splattering of strokes. I've experimented a bit but couldn't reach effect that when I draw with high speed ink would go even further than where I draw, so it would splatter a bit. Scattering is not the same, it only drops shapes. Can't really say if I saw that in any other 'big' programs though to make a more clear example... Well, that's unless I'm missing something in Black Ink.

Maybe I'll think of some other suggestions later...

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 27 Dec 2012, 09:35

Hi pozdn9k,

First of all thanks for your valuable feedback ;)

1) Add a 'stabilizer' feature to smooth the strokes, like the one in PaintTool SAI. It slows down the stroke you're drawing, making it more smooth. The amount of slowdown depends on the number set. Here's a video I found, where the artist uses this feature at maximum amount to draw line-art for his character. I think that would be a nice addition for Black Ink too.

We have noted this request and it will can be integrated.

2) Possibility to use image files for tracing them (not only taking color from), that would be good for inking sketches too. Though maybe when layers will be present it wouldn't be needed.

Yes with layers you should be able to do what you describe.

3) Change the rendering engine's antialiasing algorithm a bit.
Here I made two lines. After I make undo (2nd pic), appearance of strokes slightly changes, becomes kinda blurred or 'antialiased'.

This is a known issue. We will rewrite a large part of the rendering when we will implement layers.
For the moment you can Zoom at 100% ( Ctrl +1 ) to see the accurate version of your drawing.

4) Make possible the splattering of strokes. I've experimented a bit but couldn't reach effect that when I draw with high speed ink would go even further than where I draw, so it would splatter a bit. Scattering is not the same, it only drops shapes. Can't really say if I saw that in any other 'big' programs though to make a more clear example... Well, that's unless I'm missing something in Black Ink.

I understand what you mean. This kind of behavior will be integrated in the futur ( a system who describe how to create sub stroke from your hand stroke ). But scattering will be integrated earlier.

Cheers

mildanach

Postby mildanach » 08 Jan 2013, 08:48

Hi, great app, the speed is insane :)
Do you plan to introduce blurring/smearing existing pixels to brush options? It would help to simulate oil/acrylic paint.
Will canvas panning/zoom/rotation shortcuts be editable in future?
Cheers!

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 08 Jan 2013, 09:21

Hi mildanach,

Do you plan to introduce blurring/smearing existing pixels to brush options? It would help to simulate oil/acrylic paint.

For the moment we don't have plan to do that. Such technic is a huge performance eater and for now we are focused on the reactivity and other algorithm who don't impact the flow of drawing.
However this not mean we never do that ;)

Will canvas panning/zoom/rotation shortcuts be editable in future?

Good question we will add it in our long list of missing features :wind

Thanks for the feedback

adrien

Postby adrien » 29 Jan 2013, 19:46

Hello Bleank team!
Bought the soft and I'm loving it, I hope you will keep adding new features and tools in the future! :congratulation:
Rather than a suggestion, I had a small request after watching the last video trailer for the Brush Controller.
Towards the end, you are using a brush on a black and white drawing of a girl, and it's doing some super cool hatching lines (hachurage).
Would you mind sharing the settings needed to get this kind of results? :thanx:

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 30 Jan 2013, 10:37

Hi Adrien
Glad you like Black Ink ! And yes, new features are coming very soon :)

The brush setting you're talking about is very simple.

First, select the felt pen because it's the easiest default brush to modify.

Then, go to the "flow" tab and set the shape interval parameter to 400 by dragging on the number on the right or entering the value manually.

Then back to the first tab, at the end of the parameters, click on the arrow pointing down to unfold the scales parameter. just set one very small and the other very high to get a thin bar. Here too you can set your large scale higher than the default max value. try 10% x and 500% y for example.
(This helps change the x/y ratio to get a thinner bar but will make the result bigger so you may need to decrease the main size to compensate.)

Then just change your rotation value until you get the desired angle for your stroke, like 30°, give it a low opacity and that's it !

You may have unwanted behaviors from the starting brush so you can open the controller editor and delete or unplug the controllers you don't want. In the video every controllers were deleted to obtain a very constant effect.
You can also try with either a round or a square shape. square will make constant lines and round will make them thinner at the ends.

You'll be able to save your own hatching brush very soon and we'll also add a new forum section to talk about those brush tricks and settings !

clayton

Postby clayton » 08 Feb 2013, 16:21

Not sure if this has been raised, however I have an idea for layer modes. Traditionally we have modes such as Normal, Multiply, Colour Dodge, Linear Dodge, etc.. as a layer mode. I was thinking why not have a layer mode as a math function in the controller. So for instance Linear Dodge would be ADD in the controller. We could combine different functions such as random etc.. to create crazy layer mode effects as well as useful ones.

For example, you could setup a pressure to paint normal at low pressures and say colour dodge at a higher pressure.

Just a thought,

Clayton

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions