Features suggestions...

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
u2bleank

Re: Features suggestions...

Postby u2bleank » 08 Feb 2013, 21:29

Not sure if this has been raised, however I have an idea for layer modes. Traditionally we have modes such as Normal, Multiply, Colour Dodge, Linear Dodge, etc.. as a layer mode. I was thinking why not have a layer mode as a math function in the controller. So for instance Linear Dodge would be ADD in the controller. We could combine different functions such as random etc.. to create crazy layer mode effects as well as useful ones.

Clayton,

We have noted your suggestion for a custom Blending between layers, it's a good idea.
We can't promise anything but we will evaluate the thing :geek:

jakthreepixels

Postby jakthreepixels » 21 Feb 2013, 20:46

Good Work!

I'll consider buying it only if you put an easy feature and very very useful...
You know:
Load a background image (with opacity control) as a reference for sketching.

Easy to implement? very useful for artists.

positive valoration.
Runs smooth and fast.
Reliable.

Thanks!!!

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 22 Feb 2013, 15:15

jakthreepixels:

I have a tip for you! We'll be able to do many more things when layers come but you actually can do it right now using already available tools. I made an entry in the tips&tricks section to explain:

http://forum.bleank.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101

Works very well and the image-based tools already gives you a lot of control to place your pictures

jakthreepixels

Postby jakthreepixels » 04 Mar 2013, 19:38

Merci!!!

ah!!! that's it. easy.

No need to add more complexity to the UI with the layers feature.
Now checking a little bit more.

Some crazy ideas :

** Instead of classic mouse cursor arrow, could be interesting to see the "thickness" of the current brush.

** Holding E or B keys while using the mouse wheel changes brush "thickness", althought I've noticed that automatically happens
when you zooming in your canvas.

Thanks!!!

jakthreepixels

Postby jakthreepixels » 10 Mar 2013, 15:33

Brought!!

Still figuring out how to make a bigger brush rather than using the "slider" at the right panel.

I'm wondering if there's any "onion paper" featurette. Mainly oriented to animators.
Is it being considered in future verions?
layers? how about allow user to assign "fast keys" to toggle layer visibility.

Thanks. really enjoying this nice software.

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 12 Mar 2013, 11:31

These ideas are not that crazy they make a lot of sense :)

- A cursor displaying the thickness of the brush is a very frequent request we'll definitely add it soon.

- shortcuts for size and opacity too but we'll have to think about the actual behavior. a combo with a pressed key and the mouse seems interesting we'll think about it ! And yes, in the meantime, zooming is a very interesting way to change the size of the stroke, use the Q key to zoom quickly.
If you have a look at my videos there you'll notice that when I need a huge stoke on my canvas I just zoom all the way out. It already became quite an habit.

- Layers are coming ! they are in development as we speak and that is really going to boost your Black Ink experience.
We don't have plans for a specific onion paper feature or animation related tools at the moment but let's wait for the layers release and see what we can do with them. I'm sure that will give you even more ideas :)

tr4

Postby tr4 » 30 May 2013, 11:26

ben-o wrote:- shortcuts for size and opacity too but we'll have to think about the actual behavior. a combo with a pressed key and the mouse seems interesting we'll think about it !

Yes! I'd absolutely love some customisable shortcuts for Zoom/Pan/Rotate etc.
There's a couple of applications with a great UI for custom hotkeys:
Autodesk's Mudbox and
Celsys' CLIP Studio Paint.
Custom shortcuts can make Black Ink's workflow faster and even more fun! :happy:

llazyad

Postby llazyad » 30 Jul 2013, 13:07

hello, first of all i am an ui designer and i simply love how this program looks and how it works, second im very interested in workflows, and i consistently use shortcuts like a mad person... my suggestion to the developers of this wonderful program would be :

- The ability to make custom shortcuts for everything
- a checkbox for temporary switching the tool wile holding the shortcut for it and a slider to set the miliseconds you'd have to hold for the tool to become temporary ( like if i hit the key it would switch tool and if i pressed and held the key for more then 60miliseconds it would be temporary and it would switch back to my original tool when i let go
- maybe ctrl + space = zoom and shift + space = rotate and also when rotating the image should snap in the 90 degree range.. that would be nice.. maybe a checkbox for snapping that could be disabled but defenetly enabled by default
- the ability to use your current brush as an eracer after hitting a shortcut
- maybe even the ability to make custom menus and the ability to set them to right click and shortcuts so they pop up when you hit the shortcut

i really hope you make this program amazing cause it started out extremely awesome and painters / designers need a new home since we all sort of hate photoshop lately but as sluggish and awkward as it works.. it still gets the job done.. but i'd switch in a microsecond if this program became more workflow friendly,

im really curious about this program and it's developer response to the suggestions

and i also would really like some stuff mentioned before like - selection tools
- 1, 2, 3 point perspective grids or snaps ( see how manga studio 5 does it cause they got it right)
- mirror painting

thank you and have a nice day

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 31 Jul 2013, 10:19

Hi llazyad,

Thanks for your friendly report.
Here are some thoughts about your suggestions :

- The ability to make custom shortcuts for everything

This isn't a priority for us at the moment but if we have a lot of users request we will re-think about it.

- a checkbox for temporary switching the tool wile holding the shortcut for it and a slider to set the miliseconds you'd have to hold for the tool to become temporary ( like if i hit the key it would switch tool and if i pressed and held the key for more then 60miliseconds it would be temporary and it would switch back to my original tool when i let go

Good idea, we’ll think about it. All the settings may be a little overkill though.

- maybe ctrl + space = zoom and shift + space = rotate and also when rotating the image should snap in the 90 degree range.. that would be nice.. maybe a checkbox for snapping that could be disabled but defenetly enabled by default

Snapping is definitely an option that will be added soon (probably something with a Shift or Ctrl + the shortcut to enable it). We would like to keep the other common navigation shortcuts as simple as possible though.

- the ability to use your current brush as an eracer after hitting a shortcut

It will be added very soon too. When pressing the E the current brush will be automatically (and temporarily) transformed into an Eraser.

- maybe even the ability to make custom menus and the ability to set them to right click and shortcuts so they pop up when you hit the shortcut

We’d like to avoid too many interface customization for the time being. We think that Black Ink is not complex enough to justify these options yet.

i really hope you make this program amazing cause it started out extremely awesome and painters / designers need a new home since we all sort of hate photoshop lately but as sluggish and awkward as it works.. it still gets the job done.. but i'd switch in a microsecond if this program became more workflow friendly,

Our goal is not to compete with photoshop, we have a different way of thinking about creation and we will not replicate its many features, we’ll stay all about drawing and generating.
But yes, when simply drawing I have no doubt you’ll end up feeling much more comfortable in Black Ink :smile:

Cheers

stopete

Postby stopete » 01 Aug 2013, 13:54

I like the idea of having customizable hot keys because everyone has different workflows, for some people it might be fine with the standard whilst for others it would take lots of time to adapt and get used to. In the time getting used to the hot keys instead with custom hot keys one could spend it doing awesome artwork right off the bat.

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions