Custom brush shapes/selection to brush shape

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
pirrian

Custom brush shapes/selection to brush shape

Postby pirrian » 14 Nov 2017, 09:19

Hey! I'd like to have a bit more variability in the shapes of brushes that we have.

What I would like is to be able to select a custom shape to be used. Either single shapes, to be able to randomly select from all available shapes, to choose a handful to select from, or perhaps allow them to be linked to variables like pressure or location. Even better could be the ability to use a selection as a shape on the fly.

Leaves, scales, textures, patterns... I could think of a few uses.

u2bleank

Re: Custom brush shapes/selection to brush shape

Postby u2bleank » 14 Nov 2017, 10:35

hi pirrian,

It's possible with BSL.

:reyes: I need to found the time to make a little tutorial for that ( +1 requets for that ).

The main idea is the deal with the standard Square shape and then use BSL to render color only where a "procedural" shape is defined directly on the BSL.
For example if you want a round you just have to test the distance to the center of the shape and then output 0 on the alpha when your or away of a certain distance.

You can have a look this nice Web application which is specialized in 2D shape made procedurally.
You can do the same in the BSL editor ( and much more ;) )
Just experiment.

If you need more infos or trick I can give you some help ;)

jaycephus

Re: Custom brush shapes/selection to brush shape

Postby jaycephus » 27 Dec 2019, 17:25

So with this, you could make a parametric shape with fixed-number, or pressure-function inputs to the parameters?

For example, a rounded-corner square with allowed corner-radius range of 0 to square-width/2.
(All four corners with a radius of width/2 is the same as a perfect circle.)
SO.... with pressure tied to the corner-radius value, you could create square-to-circle shapes via pressure.

By changing width versus height, with the maximum radius, you can have a 'pill' or 'capsule' shape, too, of various lengths and widths.

Obviously setting a fixed value for the corner-radius lets you have an effective shape like so (or any shape between a sharp-corner square and a perfect circle):
Shape_Ink_99.jpg
Rounded-corner square
Shape_Ink_99.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 22224 times

I would love to learn how to do this.

Pretty cool:
(I tweaked the default to have a spiral inside of the circle, with a masking circle-stroke to contain the spiral within the outer white circle.)
ShaderCoding.jpg
Spiral in circle
ShaderCoding.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 22224 times

Return to Suggestions