challenge response? no go.

Share your suggestions & ideas for BlackInk
gunner

challenge response? no go.

Postby gunner » 09 Mar 2013, 19:52

i was all ready to buy this program but then i saw it utilizes c/c protection. c/c is the most annoying copy protection in existence. its a win for the developer and a loss for the buyer. if anybody is wondering why you only get two activations, its because you must use an activation server in order to activate the software. if, the developer closes up shop this leaves the consumer with broken non functional software due to the server going offline. with no activation server the software is useless because it cant be registered.

ive bought much software, but until this software uses a simple serial key, it is a no go. ive been burned more times then i care to admit and all developers say the same thing, were not going anywhere. or my favorite, "if we do close up shop, we will make the software use a simple serial key" sure. please get rid of this copy protection. because i really like this software. and please don't take this post to be meant in a rude way it was meant to be constructive.

bonnie

Re: challenge response? no go.

Postby bonnie » 11 Mar 2013, 13:25

Thanks for sharing your concerns. We’re trying to be as user friendly as possible in every way but this as you know is a complicated matter.

We really tried to find a solution that’s easy to use and that also protects our new software. We are a small company and you’ll understand that we can’t afford to have serial numbers roaming freely over the internet.

Our current system only ask for the activation server at registration time. Once it’s done the software doesn’t need to contact anything anymore and will stay fully functional.

That being said, a new option will soon be available. Maybe you saw that we had the pleasure to be greenlit on Steam last week. We’ll make Black Ink available on Steam as soon as possible and that will effectively add Valve’s infrastructures to the system. Steam keys will be granted to anyone who purchased a license so everyone can count on this additional flexibility and guarantee of long term support. I hope you trust Steam to stay open for quite some time and as long as they do, Black Ink will work.

syme

Postby syme » 15 Mar 2013, 02:59

Wow! Impressive. That's a very well written response. It states the problem from the developer's perspective in a respectful, reasonable manner and provides a future solution that nobody could find any fault in. Thanks for going out of your way for the customer with the Steam keys. It's appreciated.

markfluff

Postby markfluff » 04 May 2013, 06:46

Wow.. Thanks for sharing the information.I was not knowing about this.Great!!

gregd3

Postby gregd3 » 12 Sep 2013, 17:04

Thanks for the reply. I can deal with activation so long as I can de-activate it for system re-installs or major upgrades and reactivate it without "using up" a license. I was just about to buy this awesome program until I saw the license terms. Steam does not work for me as I have no need for it, and I'm not going to install it just to run some other programs.
If you ever change your license to more user friendly terms, I'll be more than happy to buy.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 12 Sep 2013, 17:56

gregd3 : we have changed as stated in our FAQ :

How many times can I activate my license?

Your license can be activated twice without any intervention from us. After that, and for personal use only, you can request more activation rights with a simple e-mail demand.

gregd3

Postby gregd3 » 12 Sep 2013, 18:46

u2bleank wrote:gregd3 : we have changed as stated in our FAQ :

How many times can I activate my license?

Your license can be activated twice without any intervention from us. After that, and for personal use only, you can request more activation rights with a simple e-mail demand.

So I understand this to mean that either:

1. I can install on a desktop and laptop (2 licenses), but if I need to for whatever reason re-install, I have to contact you for each additional license i.e. every time I do a system re-install/upgrade.

2. Install it on one computer up to two times i.e. two system upgrades, then I need to contact you for each additional time for a new license.

It's the contacting you for each additional license that I don't want to deal with. I realize it's not a problem in the near future, but I don't want to get to my next new computer and wait for a response from you for a new license. I know this may sound nit-picky but if I have to choose between a drawing program that I can have up and running in 2 minutes vs Black Ink where I'll have to wait up to one business day(?) (never mind having to email) for a new license, I'll go with the former.

Also what does "for personal use" mean? I can no longer use it for commercial purposes?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I see that the customer support is good!

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 12 Sep 2013, 21:22

gregd3:
Hi, you're right about the two first points. Either installing on two computers or reinstalling the first one will consume your two initial activations.
We know this system has its limitations and can feel uncomfortable, even misunderstood sometimes, but it was our best security solution for the time being. That being said this system will become too limited as our customer base grows and we will eventually have to improve it and make it more flexible. Unfortunately we can't put a date on such developments.

Please also note that Steam purchases are activated by Steam accounts and can be used on any number of computers. The activation number restriction only applies to purchases made on our own store. So this is an actual and guaranteed alternative.

And about "personnal use" well, thanks for pointing the error out :) This part was faulty and we already changed it for more precise terms.
You can absolutely use Black Ink for your own business. The real point is just that you can ask for more activations for your own use, but companies can't ask for a bunch of them in order to equip several computers with only one license. That's all.

gregd3

Postby gregd3 » 12 Sep 2013, 22:31

Thanks ben-o!
That makes sense, and it's encouraging to hear that a more flexible activation system will be coming in the future.

Return to Suggestions