Image in the post

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
blencriz

Image in the post

Postby blencriz » 23 Jan 2014, 16:24

Hi, everybody,

the [img]-thing doesnt work.There is only standing "Image".
Can you please explain me how to add pics in the comments(my images are uploaded on deviantart)
thank you :D,

blencriz

maninmachine

Re: Image in the post

Postby maninmachine » 24 Jan 2014, 02:38

From a link:

Here is a copied-and-pasted link to a random bug photo on deviantart:
http://akharlamov.deviantart.com/art/Bug-88862535

Here is that same link inside url tags:
http://akharlamov.deviantart.com/art/Bug-88862535

This is done by:
(a) pasting the link, selecting it, then hitting the URL quick edit button at the top of the post window
-or-
(b) clicking the button first, then pasting the link between the two tags

These first two links should appear the same.

Here is that same link using edited text:
Bug on Deviantart

I will explain this using parentheses instead of brackets.
This is done by:
Click the url button,
(url)(/url) will appear,
Set the first url tag equal to your link by entering the "=" symbol, then pasting the link as such: (url=link)(/url)
Now type the text you want to appear between the tags like so: (url=link)type your text here(url)

These will take you to a page on deviant art that contains the image, but they are not links to the image directly. The direct link is found by right clicking the photo and selecting...
In Firefox - Copy Image Location
In Internet Explorer - Copy
(Need someone to provide option for Chrome - don't have it on this computer)

With that image location copied, we will use the quick edit button at the top of the post window (just like the url above):

To go further, here's the image location pasted between url tags:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/168/d/3/Bug_by_AKharlamov.jpg
This just shows how the forum deals with the same information, depending on how you enter it. If you're looking to display the image, this is not what you want.

As an upload:

To upload a file to the forum, you need to have that file on your computer and know its directory. Below the post window, click on Upload attachment. Click the Browse button - locate and open the file. Click the "Add the file" button. The maximum size allowed is 256 kb - if the file is bigger then it will not work, and you will be alerted above the post window. Once the file is successfully added it will be in an attachment form (will appear at the bottom of your post). To display the image you need to click the "Place inline" button below the attached file. Here is the downloaded bug photo, resized in MS Paint to 50%, and placed inline:
bugondeviantart.jpg
bugondeviantart.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

Remember that it will be inserted wherever the cursor is at the time you click the Place inline button.

A side note - The forum will show a preview on the board of the first acceptable image it finds in your post. However, if the file size is weird (total size or ratio) it may not show up in the preview. Also, if you are using a site with funky scripting to host your image the link you get using normal methods will not be acceptable for preview (like Steam, which will give you something which makes the file format appear weird)

Hopes this helps. I'm mildly drunk (perpetuity not insinuated) and am in no way a big computer buff, so let me know if I need to clarify anything later.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 24 Jan 2014, 09:38

maninmachine : awesome post :amazed:

blencriz

Postby blencriz » 24 Jan 2014, 17:24

thank you, it worked :D

Return to Technical support