Some Questions ....

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
mars

Some Questions ....

Postby mars » 23 Oct 2013, 21:09

Hi there,

first congratulations for BlackInk, it is a very promising approach for digital painting. I really enjoyed the hours I spent with the tool so far. I'm new here, so sorry if some things have been discussed before, but I have some questions about the usage of the software.

1.General
- The Documentation says there are four kind of brushes (Calligraphic, Felt, Crepe, Volute). Is there a way to change the class on a existing brush? Or do I have to copy one preset with the specific attributes and tweak the parameters to my liking?

- Is the Option "Dual Color" or Segments available for all brushes? Or is it Crepe only?

2. Controller editor
- Will there be a little "debug" or "log values" node for seeing which data is handled. It is a bit hard to imagine the range I am dealing with. So what is the output of the "pressure" or "time" node (sec or frame or ... ?) or the length (px?). Sometimes it would be very neat to have a little helper for seeing numerical stuff. It would make things a lot easier, even for complex nodesetups.

- Is there a kind of rescale to get 5-90 to 0-50 f.e.? I haven't found one, but maybe there is a trick. for now most of the time I do a simple multiply and clamp to fit the range I want to achieve, but ... I think a clean rescale node could come in very handy.

Thanks
Mars

u2bleank

Re: Some Questions ....

Postby u2bleank » 23 Oct 2013, 21:24

Hi mars,

- The Documentation says there are four kind of brushes (Calligraphic, Felt, Crepe, Volute). Is there a way to change the class? Or do I have to copy one preset with the specific attributes.

In reality there are only 2 different class of Brush In Black Ink for the moment ( new ones will come next ).
And yes you have to copy an existing brush to start a new one. You can't start "from scratch" or nothing.
The Crepe and the others ( all other brush are instance of the same brush class ).

- Is the Option "Dual Color" available for all brushes? Or is it Crepe only?

This parameter is tied to the Crepe brush class only.

2. Controller editor
- Will there be a little "debug" or "log values" node for seeing which data is handled. It is a bit hard to see the range I am dealing with. So what is the output of the "pressure" or "time" node (sec or frame or ... ?) or the length (px?). Sometimes it would be very neat to have a little helper for seeing numerical stuff. It would make things a lot easier.

Controller editor UI re-factoring is already planned. The design has been made but the code is :reyes: ... late behind

- Is there a kind of rescale to get 0-1 to 0-50 f.e.? I haven't found one, but maybe there is a trick. This would also be very helpful.

Yes sure, use a Mul Operator ( plug the input A with your data, then enter 50 for the Input B by clicking the Operator icon ).
And here a complete list of current Operators.
There's also this link ( better visual and smart explanation ).

mars

Re: Some Questions ....

Postby mars » 23 Oct 2013, 21:39

hi u2bleank,

thanks for the fast reply. These lists are indeed very useful. I'm glad you guys are still developing stuff and I'm excited what comes with the next release.

Mars

Return to Technical support