Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
u2bleank

Re: Multi-GPU rendering

Postby u2bleank » 27 Sep 2013, 08:10

ok nice ;)

abalone

Postby abalone » 29 Sep 2013, 23:58

I did some more poking around and I eventually discovered that my drivers automatically assigned an energy savings profile to Black Ink, which overwrites any handmade profiles. Normally I only see this happening with native Windows programs (otherwise it asks), so I had no clue. Popped it back to high performance mode and everything works like it should.

For reference, my setup is a Radeon 6520G + 7670M. The former is an integrated card, part of an APU, and can't be turned off. In other words, either I run software purely off my integrated card*, or I run both in crossfire. Sometimes it doesn't make a lick of difference, but with Black Ink I'm getting roughly double the frames now. :)

But that's not all, I also noticed Black Ink seems to run with v-sync on by default. Not sure if that's a driver thing or a software thing, but either way forcing it off makes my fps skyrocket. Where it was roughly 60/20 fps (idle/using large brush) before it's now 170/65 fps. Secondly, using the D3D friendly crossfire profile turns it into a neat 200/80. Finally, turning on driver-handled texture filtering (aka Catalyst A.I) gives me another boost of 40/20 frames. Lag be gone! That's a pretty huge fucking difference, I'd say.
:desire:

* For future reference, this stopped being the case in a later driver release
Last edited by abalone on 01 Jul 2014, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 30 Sep 2013, 08:48

abalone : Great report :up: Thank you we will probably add an option ( when the preference panel will be implemented ) to enable / disable the VSync.

abalone

Postby abalone » 08 Oct 2013, 19:28

I'm unable to force these settings on the Steam version regardless of whether I Radeonpro or the official drivers. The latter seems rather weird. No problems with the standalone trial nor with other games. Is this by any chance a bug within the Steam integration/dll or just an isolated hiccup?
I already sent an inquiry for a standalone key but technically this should just work, shouldn't it?

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 08 Oct 2013, 19:58

Is this by any chance a bug within the Steam integration/dll or just an isolated hiccup?

I think steam dll is to blame here. The only test you can do to verify it is to test with another 3D application from steam.
Anyway we didn't do anything special or different between the 2 version from the Rendering API point of view.

abalone

Postby abalone » 16 Oct 2013, 00:30

I managed to solve all of these problems while I was trying to fix something else on Steam.
One part of the problem was Windows Update KB2670838, which turns out to be notorious for issues with D3D applications. The other part was some compability issue described here.
Now hopefully it stays this way! :pleased:

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 16 Oct 2013, 08:30

abalone : thanks for you effort I hope it will be helpfull for those who want to fully use their Multi GPU configuration. :)

Previous

Return to Technical support