Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
cydt

Brush scaling

Postby cydt » 14 Sep 2013, 15:33

There seem to be 3 ways of adjusting the dimensions of your brush
  • Shape -> min/max size parameter
  • Controller -> size parameter
  • Controller -> scale (x,y) parameters
At first I thought that changing the min/max size would always keep my brush within the specified dimensions, but it seems that this doesn't work when scaling is turned on. Say that I put scaling on pressure (as it is with the default calligraphic brush), then the dimensions of the brush are way lower than the set minimum bounds when I apply low pressure. So scaling is applied latest so to speak.

Now say that I want to make a calligraphic brush that varies in size between some min and max, then I don't think that is possible with the current calculations. So first of all, is this correct? :|

If it is, then I suggest some sort of "scale within dimensions" checkbox that constraints the scaling to within min/max brush sizes if it is checked. At least if it has enough uses outside of this specific example of course :p

EDIT: Okay, scale has its own min/max slider in the shape settings :desperate: That helps, but I still think that it is easier if the scaling itself would be able to take into account the min/max sizes.

ben-o

Re: Brush scaling

Postby ben-o » 16 Sep 2013, 19:49

Yeah this can be a bit confusing so let's just put things in the right order. I'd rather say that size applies after scale. Scale modifies the shape, and then this resulting shape is changed by the global size parameter. So you'll get the most correct size outputs with a shape of 100% height and width.
Now you'll only only want the scales to change for very specific results such as making it a thin line. If you bring down one axis but let the other at 100%, then the largest value will stay the same as your size parameter.
Now in some brushes you might want to have an even thinner line and, that's my fault in some brushes you can find, you might want to scale the largest value way over 100% just so that the shape is even thinner. In this case you'll loose the match with the size because one scale is at 0 and the other at for example 200%.

Return to Technical support