Artefacts bug

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
u2bleank

Re: Artefacts bug

Postby u2bleank » 18 Sep 2013, 09:35

zantium : Have you the same problem with DX9 ? Because currently dirkpitt45 is the only one who still have this problem in DX10 & DX9.
Have you installed the latest drivers ?

Another suggestion :
can you delete the directory located here
E:\My Steam Folder\Steam\SteamApps\common\Black Ink Demo\Datas\Cache
Launch Black Ink ( it will be longer than usual ).
And then send us back the BlackInk.Log to ErrorReport@bleank.com

Thank you

zantium

Postby zantium » 18 Sep 2013, 21:52

How would I run the program under DX9 instead of DX10? I've looked through the technical FAQ but I can't see any notes on running the application with switches or anything.

I have DX11 installed, running on W7 SP1, current certified drivers for all devices.

I'm also using the demo downloaded from this site as the button in the steam store is not active (there were quite a few people in the steam forum saying "why can't I download the demo, the button doesn't work" so I just came here instead)

OK, interesting! The download button does work, it just looks like it doesn't do anything - Steam doesn't react in any way - it must be to do with the packaging as every other game or software I've downloaded through Steam pops up saying it's downloading, then it's installing but nothing here.
I only spotted this when I went to remove to re-install and found it was listed twice under different names.
This also answers the DX9 question as Steam has a "force" option. I'll try the Steam version and report back. :D

zantium

Postby zantium » 18 Sep 2013, 22:33

Yes, it still does it under the Steam version both in DX10 and DX9 modes - it took longer under DX9 but it's pretty random when it happens so that's probably just by chance.
One observation which again may be by chance, under DX9 it created smaller artifacts and they were spread around the screen (though still with a clock where the cursor was at the time) this may indicate that the issue still exists for other users under DX9 but the effects are less obvious. I'd say from running back to back on both modes, the DX9 artifact blocks were 1/4 of the size.

Under DX10, they were larger and more concentrated around where the cursor was when they appeared.

I also discovered another pretty major bug while trying to take a screenshot - I use the snipping tool a lot so I toggled the "Toggle Maximise Black Ink" button to see the desktop only to find that toggling Black Ink either way wipes the canvas - completely, no reverse, no recovery of work - gone!
I was just drawing circles and loops and squiggles so no harm done but if I'd been working on a piece, I'd have been pretty mad. This is repeatable every time by the way.

zantium

Postby zantium » 18 Sep 2013, 23:02

Started testing again as I noticed another bug - once the application window has been toggled, the brush previews and icons top right are blank (this and the canvas wiping bug only exist under DX9).

This time, 15 seconds in under DX9 it threw the artifacts, not scattered all over as before but in an arc. The cursor was over to the right when this happened, you can see the purple blob on the end of the yellow curve where I immediately stopped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0pd7wprsoycy ... ifacts.JPG

Another window related bug I spotted though only a minor one is that under DX10 it starts full screen but once toggled, it will not go full screen again, instead it runs as a maximized window (shows the taskbar at the bottom). Generally, I think I'd prefer that to fullscreen anyway but I understand there are performance connotations to think of being that under fullscreen windows stops rendering the aero glass desktop but in windowed mode it still does which will sap a little GPU power - doesn't make much difference on a HD7950 of course but for those with lower end GPU's this might be an issue.

Sorry to throw all these things your way but I do work in IT and have previously done a lot of system testing an evaluation though I really just concentrate on networks now. I'd like to see this application do well otherwise I wouldn't have used up my limited free time finding the issues - besides, feedback is a gift - right? :?:

Edit: Image and log sent by email as suggested.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 26 Sep 2013, 15:09

Another window related bug I spotted though only a minor one is that under DX10 it starts full screen but once toggled, it will not go full screen again, instead it runs as a maximized window (shows the taskbar at the bottom).

You can press Alt+Enter to switch between the ( real ) fullscreen mode dans the window mode. But Black Ink is just fine with the window mode. Moreover Black Ink remember the winodw position ( and the Fullscreen flag ) for your next launch.

Anyway we currently have serious look on this glitch problem

zantium

Postby zantium » 26 Sep 2013, 18:11

Just to follow up for other users on what was discovered on further testing and emailed in;
1. The artifacts appear and fade out at different zoom levels.
2. Bleak have seen this before but thought it had been fixed, it's a problem with one particular shader which behaves differently under under different manufacturers drivers (from what I understand).

Anyway, they know what they're looking for it's not just a random but at least.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 27 Sep 2013, 14:21

For the moment only user who have a AMD HD 6**** or 7*** experiencing this bug.
Is there anyone else who experiencing this artefact and have another GPU :?

zantium

Postby zantium » 27 Sep 2013, 16:57

u2bleank wrote:For the moment only user who have a AMD HD 6**** or 7*** experiencing this bug.
Is there anyone else who experiencing this artefact and have another GPU :?

OK, that's interesting as the 6xx0 and the 7xx0 series are completely different architectures, VLIW4 and CGN respectively, I'd have expected a shader bug to be limited to just one of them or all.

I have a HD4850 that I'll try the software on and an nVidia 460GTX which I can also test with.

I did try Intel HD2500 but I couldn't get it to run at all on there but I don't think it's supposed to really... ;)

viroxide

Postby viroxide » 30 Sep 2013, 04:59

Hi there, I recently purchased Blank Ink and I am also experiencing this problem. My GPU is a HD 7900 Ghz Edition. I have sent a manual error report already, but please keep me posted regarding a potential solution.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 04 Oct 2013, 10:39

Hi everybody,

We have tested Black Ink on a AMD 7950 GPU but unfortunately we've failed to reproduce the problem :cry: ...

So can you check your drivers / Update with the latest video card driver from AMD
For our test we used :
Catalyst 13.4
Direct3D version : 9.14.10.0969
AMD pilot version : 6.58.0.6614

Also ( we never know ) update DirectX
Before re-launching Black Ink and after all updates, make sure to delete cached shaders from the Black Ink :

On Windows 7/Vista :
C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Bleank\BlackInk\Cache

note: If your "AppData" folder is hidden and doesn't appear in your user folder, simply enter "%appdata%" in any explorer window.

On Windows 7/Vista Steam :
C:\MySteamFolder\SteamApps\common\Black Ink Steam\Datas\Cache

On Windows 7/Vista Steam Demo :
C:\MySteamFolder\SteamApps\common\Black Ink Demo\Datas\Cache

Let me know if it works ( I prey :congratulation: for that.. )

PreviousNext

Return to Technical support