10Kx10K Freeze? VRAM in Black Ink? & Single GPU vs SLI?

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
atelierrosa

10Kx10K Freeze? VRAM in Black Ink? & Single GPU vs SLI?

Postby atelierrosa » 01 Nov 2017, 14:57

Hello everyone! I had a few general questions about the technical aspects of this program.

When I was doing live renders inside of Black Ink earlier today, I experienced a ton of lag. The framerate dipped down into the 30s going all the way down to the 10s in some circumstances.

Eventually, the program ended up slowing up to an unusable point. What exactly could call this?

I was also wondering if my RAM was too little and how single GPU performance compared to SLI, I was considering upgrading to a 1080Ti since I like to work at extremely high resolutions in my work and don't want to feel limited in performance at all.

How much does VRAM effect performance in Black Ink?

I have an i7 4790K Overclocked
GTX 980 SLI
8GB RAM (is this too little?)

u2bleank

Re: 10Kx10K Freeze? VRAM in Black Ink? & Single GPU vs SLI?

Postby u2bleank » 01 Nov 2017, 16:12

Hi,

Sorry for this inconvenience.. :relief:

I don't think your system is to blame in your case.
Black Ink has probably encountered a bug in one of his thread ( usually due to the Auto recover system that still has some annoying random issues.. )
OR there is a problem or a sever Lag with the swap disk ( in that case do you have SSD or enough space on your HardDisk ?). Black Ink can use several dozen of Gigabyte for swapping.

For now try to set an Higher AutoRecover time ( if you don't care )

Now my questions :
- Do you have this issue all the time ?
- What is you OS ?
- On which kind of harddisk is installed Black Ink ?
- Do you have other application running at the same time ?

atelierrosa

Postby atelierrosa » 02 Nov 2017, 02:06

u2bleank wrote:Hi,

Sorry for this inconvenience.. :relief:

I don't think your system is to blame in your case.
Black Ink has probably encountered a bug in one of his thread ( usually due to the Auto recover system that still has some annoying random issues.. )
OR there is a problem or a sever Lag with the swap disk ( in that case do you have SSD or enough space on your HardDisk ?). Black Ink can use several dozen of Gigabyte for swapping.

For now try to set an Higher AutoRecover time ( if you don't care )

Now my questions :
- Do you have this issue all the time ?
- What is you OS ?
- On which kind of harddisk is installed Black Ink ?
- Do you have other application running at the same time ?

I do not have this issue all the time I was painting at 10K x 10K fine (although at very slow framerates) for about 20-30 minutes until it all just stopped working and sort of froze.
I have Windows 10
I have Black Ink installed on a 2TB 7200rpm HDD with 750ish GBs of free space.
YES I did have other applications open. Google Chrome with many tabs, Discord desktop app. (I had some tabs open for brush editing and some music playing through Youtube most likely some other stuff laying around too)

I feel like this is most likely a system limitation if anything.

I was thinking of upgrading my PC specifically for this program. From GTX 980 SLI and 8GB RAM
to GTX 1080Ti and 32GB RAM but... I'm not entirely sure what kind of gains I would get if I got this to solve these problems? (low framerate being the biggest one)

Is hardware like this necessary to work efficiently in Black Ink to clear up any hardware limitations my system may face or is the hardware I have now already more than good enough?

I ask since I have been weighing these purchases in my head for awhile to change my gaming PC into a PC that would be good at media production with this program mainly and had some other alternative things I was looking at getting if this hardware really isn't necessary for Black Ink.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 02 Nov 2017, 09:24

I do not have this issue all the time I was painting at 10K x 10K fine (although at very slow framerates) for about 20-30 minutes until it all just stopped working and sort of froze.

If Black Ink doesn't crash but Froze then it's probably the problem i pointed earlier ( MultiThread dead lock... in that case your hardware can't be helped unfortunately.. )

I have Black Ink installed on a 2TB 7200rpm HDD with 750ish GBs of free space.

Your config is really good for Black Ink the only component that can be upgraded is your HardDisk.
If you install Black Ink on a SSD Hard Disk you could benefit from better performance.
This advice is also True for your system boot up or other application using the Hard Drive.

I feel like this is most likely a system limitation if anything.

No, I don't think so.
It's probably a problem from our side and we will investigated on our side with further test to avoid such issue.

Return to Technical support