[inquiry] file contents reset to earlier state / not saved ?

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
paulindrome

[inquiry] file contents reset to earlier state / not saved ?

Postby paulindrome » 07 Aug 2017, 22:40

Black Ink seems to have "erased" a portion of progress on my current piece.
And I am pretty sure that it is not a case of failing to save periodically as I have two files:

File 1:
JPG file, last saved 06/08/2017 at 8:42 pm

File 2:
BKD file, last saved 07/08/2017 at 0:01 am

Weirdly, the JPG exported about 3 hours earlier than the last save shows a later state of the work than the BKD.

Attached is an image of the two states. (Please overlook the difference in quality, one is a screenshot, the other a rescaled export).
Thumbnail:

I have no idea if this ever happened to anyone else but it does concern me. If this hints at an actual bug that resets progress on files it is troublesome.
Attachments
file-discrepancy.jpg
file-discrepancy.jpg (169.22 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

u2bleank

Re: [inquiry] file contents reset to earlier state / not sav

Postby u2bleank » 08 Aug 2017, 09:29

:??: strange
I only see a difference on the backpack.
I never encoutered such problem. Are you sure you didn't do a Undo before saving ?
Anyway you can look at the Autorecover folder to see if perhaps a version has been saved. To open this folder goto the Main Menu > Preference > General and click on the Reveal button Image

paulindrome

Postby paulindrome » 08 Aug 2017, 17:05

There's actually a bunch of differences. Including f.e. the button on the hood, the orange bridge above the shoulder, the front of the torso etc. But that's not the point here. ;)
And yes, I am 100% sure I didn't undo anything. Why would I?

Thank you very much for pointing out the recover function to me, though. I'll see what I can find.

I've encountered another weird thing about this:
Saving the project from Black Ink gives me the short "please wait" prompt while saving but apparently doesn't actually write into the file. I've checked this by keeping an eye on the "last edited" time of the file in my file explorer.
(F.e. I save at 1:44am and the last edited time of the file remains at 1:33am)

I have not yet checked whether or not the file DOES contain the new data but for some reason didn't get an updated last edited time because I was afraid for my progress. So what I am currently doing is using the Save As command because that forces Black Ink to write a new file.

I'll keep you posted.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 09 Aug 2017, 08:58

you will reverse engineer how Black Ink works ;)

There's actually a bunch of differences. Including f.e. the button on the hood, the orange bridge above the shoulder, the front of the torso etc. But that's not the point here. ;)
And yes, I am 100% sure I didn't undo anything. Why would I?

Ok I didn't notice it. Anyway do you remember to have added more detail than the one in the JPG ?
Are you sure the latest BKD has not been saved elsewehere ?

In all case if you meet again such problem tell us.

Saving the project from Black Ink gives me the short "please wait" prompt while saving but apparently doesn't actually write into the file. I've checked this by keeping an eye on the "last edited" time of the file in my file explorer.
(F.e. I save at 1:44am and the last edited time of the file remains at 1:33am)

I've not the code in front of my eye but from my memory a Tmp File is used when saving and then when all is save successfully we overwrite the destination file ( with this process we preserve the destination file if a crash occured during the saving process ).
I'm not sure if the date is updated after this process. I have to check it.
Moreover if you use a big resolution and use a bunch of time consuming brushes Black Ink has to finish all under the hood process before starting the writing to the file.

Return to Technical support