pen pressure low sensitivity

Discuss features and report problems with BlackInk
keppeco

pen pressure low sensitivity

Postby keppeco » 11 Nov 2015, 23:12

Hello, I ran a search so I hope this isn't posted elsewhere. I've run into a pressure sensitivity problem which I've had with both the Cintiq Companion and Surface Book, so I expect this may be a PEBKAC problem. That said, the pressure sensitivity is impossibly low, despite Black Ink registering the pressure correctly, lines drawn an full pressure are very thin, whereas if I were to use my finger, the brush size would be correct. Here is a picture demonstrating this, with my finger painting being on the left and my stylus at full pressure being on the right. Thank you for your time!
Attachments
pressure.jpg
pressure.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 8654 times

u2bleank

Re: pen pressure low sensitivity

Postby u2bleank » 12 Nov 2015, 10:33

Do you have the WinTab API enabled ?
Moreover you can view the pressure returned to Black Ink by opening the Stylus preference :
( Main Menu > Windows > Preference > Stylus Tab )

Tell me if all is correct or if you have something weird.

keppeco

Postby keppeco » 12 Nov 2015, 16:14

Thank you for the quick response. I probably should've specified that I knew Blank Ink was recognizing pressure correctly was because I had checked out that menu, as seen in this image. That said, I notice that your image is running wintab 1.4, whereas the latest driver I am offered (from microsoft through the surface book drivers) is 1.3. Could this be causing the trouble?
Attachments
pressure2.jpg
pressure2.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 8644 times

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 12 Nov 2015, 16:21

That said, I notice that your image is running wintab 1.4, whereas the latest driver I am offered (from microsoft through the surface book drivers) is 1.3. Could this be causing the trouble?

No, not at all.
ok you have the graph displayed and can you control the changes in it with your stylus ( try to do a linear slope ).
If you can't then do you have a control panel where to setup the pressure for your stylus ?
With Wacom for example add Black Ink as an application and then configure the pressure sensitivity
like in this picture ( sorry in French )

keppeco

Postby keppeco » 12 Nov 2015, 17:22

Unfortunately, microsoft is pretty far behind wacom when it comes to pen sensitivity adjustment. They only provide a curve that goes from 0 to 12. Attached is a picture demonstrating my attempt at a linear pressure curve using the default on the left, and the curve that I prefer to use on the right. As you can see, by default the pen curve is just a bit heavy handed.
Attachments
pressure3.jpg
pressure3.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 8637 times

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 12 Nov 2015, 17:27

I see.. :??:
So now try to adjust the sensitivity of how react the targeted brush in his size's controller and try to set parameters that fit your need.
see for more infos
or

Return to Technical support