Resources for Brush making

A place to share your brush
huckleseed

Resources for Brush making

Postby huckleseed » 13 Apr 2014, 08:05

I've started to get down to the hard tacks trying to create some inventive brushes that do what I want, rather than just playing with sliders and random controllers and seeing what comes out of it. After studying some of Mininmachine's brushes, I found that I was going to need some tools to help me along.

Top of the list is a graphing calculator. It helps you figure out what the actual input will be going into your brush parameter after you have added all the sine waves, modulos, floor, multiply, etc. This one is free, it has I think all of the math and operators that BI uses, and it took me only 5-10 minutes to get the hang of it, unlike some of the others that either didn't have all the functions, or were so unwieldy that after an hour I still didn't have my results. It also has polar and cartesian graphing unlike the others.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Next up is how to manage those color parameters, in particular the Hue, Saturation, and Value. With this handy swatch, you can see exactly what will happen as you adjust those parameters. This is important because while you can choose color by the pickers, any color change will have to be pre-entered into the gradient color bar, and then pick the color by its placement on the bar. This is really nice, but you can only choose the colors that you already picked and the gradients in between those colors.
With the HSV parameters however, you can flow smoothly between any color you want, or hop around the color wheel if you've set the values up to flow in that way.This chart shows you exactly what happens when you start with one color, and change 1 parameter or 2, or all 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Hsv-swatches

Lastly, another color topic, perhaps one tangentially tied to the controllers, but definitely part of your brush is the color schemes. What colors work well with others? What kind of feeling does it invoke in your picture? This will give you the Complementary, Split Complementary, Tetradic, Triatic, Analogous, and Monochromatic color schemes for every shade of every color. It shows you a color chart by hue for every 7.5 degrees of the wheel.Under RGB chart and multi-tool, it shows you the different swatches of color schemes, and then shows you exactly how the entire swatch changes as the hue value changes so you can easily see what that change will do to your schemes across the board.

http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/010ED5/

I hope that these tools prove to be useful to you.

Now if someone could just list all of the parameters that take a -1 to 1 value and the ones that take -360- to 360 I would have a toolset that will really minimize the "surprise" brushes and turn them into engineered ones.

lf-antrider

Re: Resources for Brush making

Postby lf-antrider » 08 Jun 2014, 14:18

Hey thanks a lot! I am new to digital art and new to this program and most of what I learn is from suggestions from people such as yourself. I really do appreciate the help and will study up. :desire:
L. F. Antrider

Return to Brush Exchange