How to install or share a brush

ben-o

How to install or share a brush

Postby ben-o » 07 Feb 2013, 16:29

A lot of improvements are coming for brushes management to simplify this process but we can already exchange our favorite brushes in a few simple steps.

How to install a downloaded brush

- Download a .bkbrush file attached in this forum and save it anywhere on your computer.

- Open a windows explorer and enter this line in the address bar:

%appdata%\Bleank\BlackInk\UserBrushes

For Steam user you just open local files ( in the properties of the app)

this should take you right to the brushes folder of Black Ink

If you can't find this folder or get an error trying to access it, that is simply because you never created a new brush file with Black Ink yet. In this case you can either:

Open the brush manager in Black Ink and simply make a copy of any default brush (just hit the disk icon and then save), this will create the folder automatically
or
go to %appdata%\Bleank\BlackInk\ and create the UserBrushes folder manually

- Copy your .bkbrush file in this folder

- Restart Black Ink. Black Ink will not load new brushes as soon as you copy them, it needs to restart to load the folder's content.

You new brush will now appear in the brush manager.

How to share a brush

- Take a snapshot of the brush preview or draw a sample picture to show people what your brush do

- When posting, use the "Upload attachment" tab at the bottom of the page.

- Find your brush in Black Ink brushes folder.

Once again, you can enter this line in a windows explorer for a quick access to the folder:
%appdata%\Bleank\BlackInk\UserBrushes

- You can attach your sample picture the same way but hosting it elsewhere and posting an image link will make your submission look a lot better :)

- Submit and tell your friends to come and try out your brush!

schmidi

Re: How to install or share a brush

Postby schmidi » 07 Sep 2013, 21:07

New user here, and I really appreciate all the great tutorials and brushes you are sharing ben-o!

I am using the Steam version so this folder is in a slightly different area of your computer.

-Go to your steam directory

-then open the folder "steamapps"

-then open the "common" folder

-then "Black Ink" folder

-then "datas" folder

-and finally "user brushes"

Drop the downloaded brush files into that folder. Close and then restart Black Ink and you should see new brushes!

Schmidi

zolf

Postby zolf » 23 Oct 2013, 11:22

Thanks for steam precisions, i had some difficulties with it

matriarch

Postby matriarch » 11 Mar 2014, 06:55

Hi, I'm a very new user. I've tried downloading several brushes. What I end up with in BI is a brush that is just a blob. I don't seem to be able to capture the actual brush. I'm following the steps for Steam brush acquisition -- any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 11 Mar 2014, 10:02

What I end up with in BI is a brush that is just a blob. I don't seem to be able to capture the actual brush. I'm following the steps for Steam brush acquisition -- any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

What do you mean "Blob".
Do you put the brushes in the good directory and then after restarting Black Ink do you have them in the Brush Manager ?

fusebreaker

Postby fusebreaker » 01 May 2014, 00:54

Hello all!

I am a Steam user and since the most current update I have not been able to access any of the shared brushes that I have collected from the community. I have tried removing them, booting up BI, closing, putting the brushes in it's respective folder and rebooting and they still do not show. Please advise! :?

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 01 May 2014, 10:32

fusebreaker : Have you looked at this thread ?

fusebreaker

Postby fusebreaker » 05 May 2014, 01:46

:oops: It was actually user error. I went to get the update and downloaded it from here. It wrote over my existing .exe and replaced it with a trial version. Sorry for my nubbyness. Thanks for all of you who have taken the time to develop such great brushes! (Dev's and our awesome Community) F!

Return to Other Official Notices