Pen sensitivity and Brushes

To talk about brush creation and controllers
stephencusdin

Pen sensitivity and Brushes

Postby stephencusdin » 15 Sep 2013, 19:42

Hey,

I've decided to try this program out I am an illustrator that usually uses PS so this is a bit different. I love the fact of the size you can work at without loading or lag issues. However my brushes are lack luster probably because I don't quite understand the options. How can I create brushes that truly make use of my Intuos' sensitivity, currently the brushes are solid and vary in size depending on the pressure, I would however like an option to change the opacity on pressure, more like the effect you get from ticking both pressure icons in Photoshop. I am finding it hard to get smooth gradient transitions and soft edges at the moment causing my art to be very hard edged.

Any tips would be grateful,

Steve.

mttorley

Re: Pen sensitivity and Brushes

Postby mttorley » 15 Sep 2013, 21:20

Hi Steve,

This is actually a great program for people who LOVE math! :) and learning to use the controllers is going to be a big plus for you- I would suggest running through all 3 basic tutorials listed in this forum...

But, what you want to do is a set of controller 'blocks' that feed into the Brush Parameter for Opacity.

First, in the far right sidebar of the screen, under SHAPE, set your opacity to your favorite Maximum opacity, (for a full swathe, set it at 100%)

Now, open the controller Editor.

Click on the Opacity Brush Parameter

Here you will want to create a chain of controller blocks that feed into each other, the first being pressure on the far left, the second being EASE CUBIC (to smooth out your pressure and give you low pressure control) and then Ease Cubic feeding into the OPACITY brush parameter..

These of course combine with any other brush parameters that are already set, it's a multi-dimensional tool.

I think my response might be way too rudimentary, but, I hope it helps.
I have been using Photoshop for 10 years creating digitally printed wallcovering.
I have an electrical engineering degree with a minor in math.
I am a freelance designer, writer, and developer. matt @ remarkable team dot com

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 16 Sep 2013, 18:41

That's right you can construct your pressure sensitivity in the opacity controllers as you wish but I'll just add that you can go a bit faster by opening a preset branch from the open button next to 'behavior scheme" on the top right of the editor. From there you can just load the "pressure func cubic" preset for your opacity and you're done. Then of course save your new brush from its thumbnail in the brush manager for later use.

mariasam

Postby mariasam » 17 Sep 2013, 07:20

I have a Genius F610 and found it works quite well with Black Ink. I'm not an experienced user, but the program responds well to pressure applied using the stylus and that covers the upper limits for what I'm using the software for :)

fatgogeta

Postby fatgogeta » 04 Oct 2013, 14:06

Hi,

I am new to graphics tablets and BlackInk so I purchased a Huion H610 to start off with. I am working my way through all the controller editor options and can not seem to get Pressure from the stylus to work with any brush parameter. In the Huion H610 config program the pressure test works fine. I was wondering if this particular graphics tablet is known to be buggy with BlackInk or have I totally missed a step somewhere?

Thanks in advanced!

u2bleank

Postby u2bleank » 04 Oct 2013, 14:54

t : can you send us your log file ( don't need of the .dmp here )?

erum

Postby erum » 21 Oct 2013, 11:10

This is actually a great program for people who LOVE math! :) and learning to use the controllers is going to be a big plus for you- I would suggest running through all 3 basic tutorials listed in this forum...
england leather offer 75% discount on all items.

Return to Brush Making