Mixing color

To talk about brush creation and controllers
jellysoda

Mixing color

Postby jellysoda » 07 Sep 2013, 16:28

Hello, new user here. I just want to say, it didnt take me long to figure out how the patterns of the controllers work. I could tell by the little orange arrow heads how things connect, so im pretty happy with how that acts as system.

Now then, the main thing I want out of a digital painting software is the ability to blend and mix my colors and how hard/soft im able to do that. So I was messing around for a little bit with the controller options, with the Pressure and the Mathf(x) and all of that, still not quite getting everything of course, but then I scroll to the bottom to find Mixing and I hover over it and it tells me it has to do with blending and such. But opening the Mixing section leaves me with blank options, so I must be missing something.

All of the brushes I have so far only paint over the previous strokes, none really interact with it, and ide hate to feel like i have to get really really deep into the system just so I can blending colors how I want :reyes: .

Part of me feels bad for not getting some of these things quite honestly. Im looking and looking but I dont see anything on the Mixing feature alot, and if it does what I think it does, then I would imagine it be something important to introduce :cry: .

Any thoughts? thx :draw:

ben-o

Re: Mixing color

Postby ben-o » 07 Sep 2013, 18:45

I'm sorry but what you are describing is not possible yet although some future features will certainly go your way.

Unfortunately the "mixing" blocks are not what you think they are. They are just math tools. This category regroups functions used to assemble or compare several numbers together. For example the Mix block lets you enter two values blended together according to a third number. If you have a sinus in one input and a random in the others and you set the factor to 0.5, the result will be something exactly half ways, looking like a sinus with some randomness in it. This is a very powerful tool but this is only maths, sorry.

Now for the colors themselves, you can't modify how they blend with the background with the controllers but we have a few things in the pipeline for future versions. First, there will be a controller access to the actual color so you'll be able to start very fun new effects. Then, there might be something more powerful and more like you are describing coming but I can't go in the details as this is still very uncertain R&D.

jellysoda

Postby jellysoda » 07 Sep 2013, 19:36

ben-o

Oh sorry, I see. So basically the key features being pressed for Black Ink are the fact that you can create infinite styles of how your brushes work, but blending colors isnt actually a feature yet and that the feature is still in a concept stage and not yet sure whether you guys are willing to move on with it? :o

So for what im looking for, the closest thing I currently have is messing with the opacity, hmm? :geek:

ben-o

Postby ben-o » 07 Sep 2013, 21:55

Please don't forget the shape blendings (more will come for these) in the parameters and all the layers blending modes. There are enough of them to cover every common blending needs. We're still not done with everything we want to do with shapes and stroke behaviors but don't worry, development is ongoing and great new options are coming.

Return to Brush Making